Two link ups today. The first one is the 4x7 Sewing Challenge over at Berry Barn Designs. The Second is Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts.
I pretty much sew every day. Not the same thing of course as I always have several on going projects, and not all of those projects are for me. The 4x7 Sewing Challenge is all about sewing for yourself.
On February 14th The Splendid Sampler Mystery begins. Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson created this 100 block mystery quilt that will run for 50 weeks, 2 blocks a week, with numerous designers providing the 6" blocks. There is a Facebook Group which now has over 10,000 followers and is growing by leaps and bounds. Jane created a pattern for a Folding Block Station which many people have made, me included. Here are a couple pictures of mine. The pocket on the outside holds a 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" square ruler, the inside on the left is a design board for your individual squares and a pressing mat on the right which has a 6" block designed by Pat. This project was a way to audition your fabrics, but I'm going to be making my blocks from my stash and will choosing fabric as I go. If you haven't joined in and would like to, click here.
Another new project for me is the Westering Women BOM. A block is posted on the last Wednesday of each month along with some history of those courageous women traveling west in the 1800s. I am using some homespun that I had stashed with some 100% cotton. I read that I needed to prewash the fabric as one will shrink differently than the other. So this past week I got them washed and ironed and ready to cut this week. I have several choices for the first block, called Independence Square. Be sure to check back to see which ones I pick for the block.
I'm continually working on my La Passacaglia which is an English Paper Piecing project that will probably be ongoing for a very long time. There is a Facebook Group for this also and I've read where it has taken some sewists over a year to complete their quilt, so I'm thinking it may just take me two or three years to finish mine. This is another project that I'm using my stash for, except for the raspberry stars which I had to buy more of as I will be using that fabric for all the stars in the quilt. I just started on the final round for this Rosette (the one raspberry star with the blue on both sides). I'm not sure I really like my fabric choices, but I'm going to live with them. Picking the fabric is the hardest part for me. I pull out lots and lots of fabric, pick a few, cut and baste, then toss out until I think I have what will work best. Then there is a lot of clean up putting all that fabric back where it belongs.
I have a monthly goal of stitching three blocks for the #210 Holiday Redwork Hand Embroidery quilt that I'll display during December and probably into January. Today I'm prepping the next three blocks that I'll embroider in February. They go pretty fast so you haven't seen any posts on these for awhile. This is another one for me.
I did get the Midnight Mystery Quilt finished and will take it to quilt guild tomorrow to make certain it can be donated to Quilts of Valor before I make the label for it.
My daughter-in-law gave me a very cool tote for my birthday that I'll be using when I go to quilt guild. It has lots of space for all those sewing goodies that I tote around in several separate plastic containers. Thank you, Jennifer (yep, there are 4 of us in the family).
This week I'll be finishing up the baby quilt that I'll be donating. I just need to piece the back and then quilt it. WooHoo!! I'm looking forward to another finish. This one isn't for me, but I do get a lot of joy working on projects that will be donated.
I have made a little bit more progress on my granddaughter's Christmas stocking. I hope to get the three trees finished up this week and then I'll probably work on the eagle next.