Monday, January 30, 2017

One Monthly Goal and Quilting Jetgirl Alison Glass Challenge

Its time for a reveal of my secret stitching.  Are you ready?

Last year I was always going to link up with One Monthly Goal, now with Patty at Elm Street Quilts, and never quite made it, but 2017 is a new year and I finally joined in all the fun.  My goal was two-fold as I was also joining in on the Quilting Jetgirl Alison Glass Challenge

To begin with, I ordered an Alison Glass fat eighth bundle of Sun Prints and loved each and every one of them.  Last year I had bought myself EQ7 and have been having fun learning all about it.  I originally designed a foundation paper piecing block that I was calling pick up sticks, but it didn't work out as I had planned.  My next choice was using a Monkey Wrench block in a diagonal placement.  It was so hard to choose which prints I would use for the Alison Glass Challenge, but finally decided on some rainbow colors.

Pattern and Choosing Fabrics
 
Next was cutting and stitching those blocks together. 
 
Cutting

And Stitching
 


It is such a fun process seeing those blocks coming together.  The hold up during the process was my working as Intake Coordinator for my local quilt guild's quilt show coming up in February.  I spent a week of January entering all those show entries into a spreadsheet, emailing cover labels to the entrants, and creating placards that will go on the entries for the show.  And two meetings that lasted three hours each.  I started getting anxious that I wouldn't get the quilt finished before the end of January.  But I got it all pieced together, pressed and clipped about a zillion threads, and finally pin basted.
 
Pressing and Clipping Threads


Pin Basting
 
The hardest thing for me is deciding on how to quilt a project.  I really, really, want to get into some "wild quilting", but didn't have the time on this project.  I decided to do some straight, and not so straight, line quilting and going on the diagonal opposite of the block diagonal.  I used thread that matched each of the block fabrics.
 
Quilting,

Quilting,



and More Quilting
 
Of course, next was binding which I did yesterday.  Talk about last minute.
 
Binding Fun
 
And then the finale, a finished project.
 
Lola Giving it the Final Okay


Ta-Da
 
 
I had a lot of fun creating this project and joining in the fun with Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl and her Alison Glass Challenge.  I'll be linking up HERE for it.  Many thanks Yvonne.
 
I'm also linking up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts for the One Monthly Goal.  Thank you Patty.
 
Happy stitching
 

 
 


14 comments:

  1. It came together beautifully, Jennifer, and congratulations on getting it done and doing all the intake work this month as well. I like the asymmetry of the design and it looks like it will be a fun quilt to cuddle under. Thank you so much for participating in the challenge and linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Yvonne. It was really fun and my first official "modern" quilt.

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Patty. One OMG down and 11 more to go. Been trying to figure out what my February goal will be, probably getting a Quilt of Valor top made.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully done! What a fun project. Congrats on such a gorgeous finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I had fun designing, making, and quilting it.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! You have a beautiful quilt. You really showed off the fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela. I enjoyed every step along the way.

      Delete
  5. Great finish! Congratulations! What a fun quilt with the bright colors and that swirly block. The straight line quilting gives it such a nice texture, kind of a corduroy effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. The quilting does take on the look of corduroy.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! The quilting looks gorgeous with color, & I really love that you pieced the background. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Heidi. It was a fun project and I'm looking forward to my next one (and getting some of those UFOs finished up).

      Delete
  7. I love love love it! The design shows off those colors perfectly and the rainbow quilting is superb! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, Lola is such a cutie! She looks like an excellent quilt inspector. 😊

    ReplyDelete