Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A Finish and a Start

My Night Flight wall hanging is finished and I'm very happy with it.  I did learn a couple things while making it.  Since I designed it, I didn't account for the seam allowance when making the yellow moon, so I had to use smaller blocks for the top and far right side.  Of course, I discovered the error after I had sewn the blocks on the far right side and those had to be unsewn.  The other lesson learned was not to use the Fons & Porter's yellow chalk pencil to mark the area on the bird for quilting as it doesn't fully wash out.  GRRR!


I finished a couple more of The Splendid Sampler blocks and I can officially say I'm caught up.  The next block will come out Thursday, but it will have to wait until we get to one of our destinations in California before I start back up sewing.  Here are the three that I completed the last couple of days.

 Block 26, Dreaming of Dresdens
 
 Block 29, Scrappy Happy Heart
 
Bonus Block instead of Block 28, Inside Out
 
My start yesterday was "Gadget Girl's Tool Kit" by The Sweet Tea Girls Patterns.  I got everything cut out and it is my hope to get it finished this afternoon/evening.  Here is the picture of it from their website.
 
 
Here are the fabrics I chose for it.  The floral is the outside print and the dots are for the inside.  I've not worked with vinyl before so that will be a new experience.  I plan to use this as my hexie tool kit.
 
 
Today I'm linking up with Linky Tuesday over at Freemotion by the River.  Be sure to check out all the fun projects over there today.
 
Tomorrow is a busy day as I have a medical appointment in the morning in Las Vegas and the Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild meeting in the evening.  We'll be spending the night with family and then zoom back home early Thursday morning so I can attend the Shadow Mountain Quilters for a class on caring for my Singer Featherweight.  Can't wait for that.  Friday morning we'll be on the road.  WooHoo!
 
Happy Stitching!





11 comments:

  1. Night Flight looks fantastic! I am sorry to hear about the marking problem; I, too, have learned the hard way over the years what I want to use to mark my quilts and what will make me sad (and not fully wash or come out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Yvonne. I had a lot of fun designing and making Night Flight. It is for the block of the month challenge at Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild and I'll be showing it tomorrow night. The marks are very light now and if you didn't know they were there you probably wouldn't notice them. Needless to say, I won't be using those again.

      Delete
  2. Look at those little sheep! Love your dresden block.
    Ripping so many stitches is never fun. I had to do quite a bit of that myself this last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! I bought a fat quarter of the sheep material up in Idaho two summers ago and finally used a bit of it for that square. Who knows what I'll use the rest of it for, probably some English paper piecing.

      Delete
  3. I have heard about problems with yellow markers before, I hope you get it sorted. I love your Dreaming of Dresdens block, it's the fabric choice that makes it. Wish I had a featherweight.
    Smiles
    kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kate and taking the time to comment. I have other markers and had tested the air disappearing one on the fabric and it left a dull tan mark. I had the wash out blue markers and that seemed to do okay, but I've heard they have a tendency to come back so didn't use that. I won't be using the yellow again though.

      Delete
  4. I love your Night Flight quilt. What a huge disappointment with the yellow marker. I'll put that on my never use list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! I had lots of fun making Night Flight. The yellow is now very, very light on it and if you didn't know it was there you probably wouldn't notice it, but I won't be using it again that's for sure. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the name of your blog. We just bought a caravan and will be leaving before long. But we live in Australia. Hope everything went well with the doctor.
    Kathleen Mary
    I blog at kathysnest32.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy and thanks for visiting my blog too. How exciting for you to have a new caravan and will be heading out on an adventure. Have lots of fun on the road, I know we do.

      Delete
  6. I love Night Flight. Very cool! That fussy cut dresden is great too. I like those sheep!

    ReplyDelete