Wednesday, January 13, 2016

I'm trying to post more often now that it's the new year and I'm finally feeling better after being sick for two weeks.  Today I'm linking up with Lee over at Freshly Pieced for her WIP Wednesday link-up.

I have been doing a lot of handwork so my works in progress are progressing very slowly, but I do have some things to share since posting on Sunday.

I'm back working on my La Passacaglia by Willyne Hammmerstein in her book Millefiori Quilts which can be hard to find.  I was able to get my copy from inklingo.  The going is quite slow, but I am moving forward with Rosette 1.  I only need to make about eight more of those little stars and then I'll be working on Rosette 2 which is a lot bigger than this one.  Not sure which fabrics I'll be using for it.  If you are interested there is also a closed Facebook group you can join by clicking here.  I must warn you though that English paper piecing is very addicting.  It is also a great way to use up some of your stash.


Another project I've been working on is a counted cross-stitch Christmas stocking for my granddaughter, now 20.  Her mom talked me into making two this year.  The other is for my soon-to-be granddaughter-in-law as my grandson will be getting married on August 27, 2016.  This stocking is "Peace on Earth" and has a moose (done), bear (done), a deer (WIP), a wolf, an eagle, and three trees.  I need to have this finished in June so I can start on the next one.  No clue what pattern I'll use for that one, but then I have plenty of time to figure it out.


I set some January goals and one of those goals was to complete 3 of the redwork blocks for the #210 Holiday Redwork Hand Embroidery quilt.  I have finished three, but may just work on another before February.




Speaking of goals, Heidi over at Red Letter Quilts has started OMG (One Monthly Goal).  You can read all about it here.  I didn't learn about it until this week so I wasn't able to join in for January, but will be joining in for February.  This is perfect for those of you that don't like those year long goals. 

Another thing to look forward to that my blog friend, Marsha, over at Quilter in Motion, blogged about is the Westering Women.  If you enjoy history and quilting this is for you.  The first free block pattern will be posted on January 27, 2016 and then the last Wednesday of each month for the remainder of 2016.  Hope you'll be joining in on this history-filled Block of the Month.  I don't have any reproduction fabrics, but I do have two homespun bundles so that is what I'll be using.  I believe the colors will work.  What do you think?


Another work in progress is finishing up my Midnight Mystery quilt which is now all pieced as well as a backing for it.  I just need to fuse two pieces of batting, sandwich it, quilt it and then bind it.  It is going to be donated to Quilts of Valor through my local quilt guild.  WooHoo anther goal for 2016 will be completed.



Happy Quilting!

14 comments:

  1. I love how the fussy cut prints line up perfectly in your Rosette! I agree, EPP is very addictive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Preeti. Rosette 1 is done and I'm now working on the next one. The addiction has overtaken me. :)

      Delete
  2. thanks for mentioning Barbara Brackman's BOM I think I will check it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll be participating. I have marked it on my calendar and am looking forward to the blocks as well as the history lessons.

      Delete
  3. Quilts of Valor is a great idea for that color combination! Hmmm, makes me think I want to make another. I really enjoyed making that mystery quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the third mystery quilt I've made and I've never been disappointed in the outcomes. Thanks for stopping by Joy.

      Delete
  4. Great projects and sure your fabrics will work .Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosa. I'm looking forward to working on those BOMs.

      Delete
  5. Those little wee mice are as cute as the kitty cats! What fabric is that, I may have to add it to my stash to make cute things with! :) Awesome progress on your cross stitch also! Love the red work, something about it just makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased the fabric (fat quarters) from Fabric.com. They are Art Gallery Fabrics and not just one collection either. Glad that you are smiling. I'll have to do some more of the redwork this week.

      Delete
  6. Wow you have a lot on the go. It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. Pickles. I hope you stop by again soon.

      Delete
  7. Great projects. I'm so impressed with the Millefiori Quilts projects. Yours looks great. I don't do EPP (yet)... I can totally see being drawn into doing one of these projects someday. I also love your mystery quilt. What a great idea to do it in colors for the Quilts of Valor project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try EPP, it is lots of fun and very addicting. My most favorite book is "All Points Patchwork: English Paper Piecing beyond the Hexagon for Quilts & Small Projects". I purchased the Kindle edition.

      Delete