Tuesday, October 6, 2015

What a beautiful day it is here today with the sun shining, which it hasn't done for the past two days.  We had lots of thunderstorms come through and now there are lots of puddles.  Even had flooding on many of the roads Sunday. 

Yep, today is Tuesday and I'm linking up with Freemotion by the River.  Thank you Connie for hosting this linky party.  Also, I'm linking up with Let's Bee Social over at Sew Fresh Quilts on Wednesday.

Sunday, I spent the day working on the October clue for my Midnight Mystery quilt.  What I worked on was a big, and I mean big, square, when finished  it measures 19x19".  I'm really liking it and can't wait to see how it all comes together.  If you haven't heard, I love mystery quilts and haven't been disappointed yet.  Do you like them?



The first clue was to choose fabric.  I had been wanting to do a red, white, and blue quilt for awhile, but this one took four different fabrics so I added in some gold.  I didn't have the right yardage in my stash so I ordered from Connecting Threads and was very pleased with all of it when it arrived.


The next clue was cutting and then making lots of geese, more than one flock I do believe.  36 of those geese in all and then came clue 3 which was 34 square-in-a-square blocks.


Yesterday I was working away on the hexagon project.  It was coming along very nicely and then I sewed the next piece on the wrong side, ripped it out and then sewed it wrong again.  At that point I decided it would be best if I put it away and do something else.


That something else was a project I snagged from Marsha over at Quilter in Motion.  If you aren't following her, you need to as she has wonderful ideas and is a great inspiration to all, not to mention she posts these wonderful ideas on Friday Finds.  The project I snagged is from Jenny of Elefantz and is a Christmas Wreath Stitch-Along.  I haven't done embroidery in quite sometime and I'm loving it so far, even though I'd had to redo a few stitches, okay, maybe several stitches.  Below is a picture of the first hexagon which, as you can tell, is Love.


Later today I'll get back to working on my hexie project.

May your day be filled with quilting, stitching, and sunshine.




17 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, had to come over to your blog after the very sweet comment you left on my blog today-you are coming in as no-reply blogger, but I so wanted to thank you!! You made my day :-) It will be interesting to see your mystery all done. I have only done a few and I don't really care for them. I like seeing the pattern and placing my fabric where I want it and can't let go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog Vicki. I keep trying to change the "no-reply" but it never seems to work. I've tried again so maybe it'll happen this time. I know what you mean about wanting to see the pattern and picking the right fabric for it. I guess I've just been very fortunate to have liked the ones I've done.

      Delete
  2. I've never done a mystery quilt, but it sounds fun! And your embroidery is lovely. I've never tried it before, but I'm sure I'll take the plunge eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. How is your first born doing? At the docs?

      Delete
  3. I've seen several Midnight Mystery quilts in progress... it's great to see so many takes on the same quilt. What a step of faith to work on a quilt that you don't know what it looks like in the end!

    I used to travel with my parents in an RV, and I have to admit that I amazed that you would be able to quilt in one ; )

    Greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison. It is amazing what you can do in an RV. We removed the couch we didn't use and put a large table in for my quilting. It is fun. The hardest part is finding room for all my fabric.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for some sunshine! It must have you in good spirits. Your post is such a happy read! You sure have some wonderful projects on the go. Love your fabric choices for the Mystery quilt. Looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna. The sun sure does help my mood. Coming from Colorado which has over 300 sunny days a year, when it rains I tend to get gloomy.

      Delete
  5. Oh I read this post and thought I commented on it. Reading your reply to Lorna, 300 days of sunshine!! Wow! I wonder how many we get - I'm thinking its more because it seldom rains here. I love the rain. So where you now? Your fabrics are great for the mystery quilt. Oh - a 19x19 block? That's wonderful - can't wait to sew mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. We're in Nevada now (about an hour NNW of Las Vegas) and it is pretty sunny here too and seldom rains, but when it does it really pours with lots of flooding, but not like the flooding in SC.

      Delete
  6. I've done two other mystery quilts. One was great, the other I still haven't completed. I didn't care for what she was doing. So I quit 3/4 of the way and thought I would do my own thing.

    I looked at the other quilts Cheryl at Meadow Mist has done and I thought I would take the chance. The clues are spaced out enough that it's not too time consuming - I could catch up. And once I catch up, I can still work on other projects. Oh - and the real key was coming across my fabric, when I saw I it, I just had to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, so glad you are joining in. I checked out her other quilts before I started too. Can't wait to see your fabrics.

      Delete
  7. Your fabrics you are using for the mystery quilt and the blocks look great! Thanks so much for taking part in the quilt-a-long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, I'm loving your mystery quilt so far and your instructions are so clear. I loved how you explained a new way to do the flying geese. Many kudos to you.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a fun mystery quilt! Isn't it amazing how often that little seam ripper comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Connie. My seam ripper and I are best friends now.

      Delete
  9. Ugh, we've all had those blocks that we mange to repeatedly sew wrong! I think taking a break was the smart thing to do for sure.

    ReplyDelete