Sunday, May 1, 2016

Linking up today with Slow Sunday Stitching over at Kathy's Quilts. 

Well, I have been obsessed with getting my Quilts of Valor quilt finished up and haven't worked on anything else this past week.  No EPP; no cross-stitch; no redwork; no Splendid Sampler blocks, just a lot of piecing and joining on the QoV quilt.  It has approximately 1050 pieces.  Here is where I'm at now.

Lola helping me get the rows laid out on the floor

All laid out

I just need to stitch the rows together and then add a very small border of the white with blue stars material and a larger border of blue.  Once the borders are sewed on it will be ready to hand over to Denise who heads up our group.  They will choose a backing for it and send it to the longarmer.  If we are still here, I'll add the binding.  I'm very pleased with how it has turned out and I'm hoping whoever it is gifted to loves it.

Last Thursday I attended my first ever meeting with the Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild and it was fantastic.  There were about 60 or so women in attendance and lots of show and tell.  They have a BOM challenge each month and last month's challenge was Dresden Plate.  Below is a picture of my favorite one.  This month the challenge is a Drunkard's Path and I've been researching and doing a lot of thinking of what I can do for it.  I've not ever tried to sew curves so that will be a new experience for me.  I did find a tutorial on making a Drunkard's Path block without using pins HERE.  Not sure if I'll use it or not.


They are also having a block lottery this month and I hope to participate in that. Have any of you participated in one?  If not, here is how it works:  you make however many blocks of a certain pattern that you would like.  For each block you make, you get a raffle ticket.  The winning ticket gets all the blocks to make into a quilt.  For our lottery we are using a solid white as the main color and the other color for the block can be any shade of gray or black.  Not sure when I'll find the time for all these fun activities, but I'm going to give it my best shot. 

I've really had red, white, and blue on the brain lately while thinking of Memorial Day and the 4th of July.  This free pattern really caught my eye on the McCall's Quilting site.  Click HERE to download the pattern.
 
54-40 or Fight Lap Quilt

You ask, where are you at with your travel plans?  Well, it is still up in the air as to when we will leave for the summer and my grandson's wedding in August.  DH has two medical appointments on 5/3 and I have one on 5/10.  Not sure if there will be any follow-up appointments so we are still in a wait-and-see mode.  Maybe by the 4th of July.

Happy stitching!

11 comments:

  1. It's going to be a beautiful quilt! Can't believe how many pieces you have there - I'm not sure I can even count that far :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephie, it did seem like a lot of pieces when I was stitching it all together.

      Delete
  2. Your piecing is so beautiful and precise!
    Hope you have time for some hand stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I did finally get some hand stitching in yesterday and will get more in today.

      Delete
  3. lovely work you show - it sounds like medical problems have held up your travel for awhile, hope all well be well soon - I do not know if we are traveling this year at all - hubby in a contract job at the moment and not sure when it ends at this point he might be working until he is 66

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Karen and taking time to comment. I'm hoping we will be able to hit the road by the end of May.

      Delete
  4. I love how your QoV quilt is coming! My mind has been on Bear Claws lately for some reason...maybe because I keep seeing your lovely progress each week! :)I'm sure whoever receives it will absolutely love it, I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, it has been fun putting this together and I loved piecing the bear paw blocks.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the freebie link! Your QOV is lovely -- and fits perfectly on the floor there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Denise. Hope you enjoy your week.

      Delete
  6. Very ambitious, Jennifer. I love your QoV and the recipient will be very grateful that such a talented person wanted to take the time to make a quilt for him/her. Lola looks worn out; you shouldn't work her so hard!! LOL Great to see where you are in your projects.

    ReplyDelete