Sunday, February 21, 2016

February 23, 2016 update... I'm linking up with Sarah at Berry Barn Designs for her 4x7 Sewing Challenge. 

I missed posting last week  :( so wanted to update my Sunday post to show all the sewing I did.  I have even gotten more done on the Christmas stocking as you can see by the picture directly below here.  It is finally taking on a stocking shape.  I hope to get the stitching finished up this week.  Even though we were on vacation I was able to get in some sewing every day last week and enjoyed every second of it. 



We have been having fun during our vacation week here in Arizona which I elaborate on below.

I did get a lot of stitching in.  I got all three of my Redwork blocks done and started on a forth which isn't pictured here.  You'll have to come back again to see it.





The snowman I had done before, but I had used too many strands of floss so this one is the remake with the correct number.
 
I also worked on the Christmas stocking and finished the eagle, got it all back stitched and have gotten a bit more done.  I'm hoping to get all but the name and year stitched on it this week.  I haven't decided on a pattern for my granddaughter-in-law's stocking.  Actually, I haven't even been looking and will need to start on that.
 

Some of the detail at the top that I'm working on now.

Are any of you participating in The Splendid Sampler with Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson?  They have posted two of the blocks and another one will be posted today.  I will be taking part in it, but won't start until I get home.  I'll be using fabric from my stash and didn't bring it with me on the trip.
 
Another Westering Women block will be posted tomorrow for all those interested.  So I will be very busy playing catch up when I get home.
 
Today we will be leaving Salome and traveling to Lake Havasu City which is where the London Bridge is.  We'll stay there until Tuesday and head for home.  We have visited with lots of friends, and eaten many meals out for which the scale is not happy about.  We went into Parker, AZ on Monday to have lunch with a couple we worked with in 2012 at a campground on Detroit Lake in Oregon.  I then hunted down a quilt shop that was no longer there.  Big Bummer!!!  On Wednesday we went into Wickenburg, AZ as there was supposed to be a quilt shop there.  We found it and there was a sign on the door to call for an appointment.  I called an got voice mail.  Another bummer.  I guess someone is trying to tell me I have to use my stash.  Supposedly there are two quilt shops in Lake Havasu City so tomorrow I'll be looking for them.
 
Yesterday we went to a car show/quilt show/chili cook off in Wenden, AZ.  There were about 8 cars in the show and the quilts were mostly old quilts and partially finished quilts.  We didn't wait around for the chili as most of the cook off we've been to seem to have overly hot and spicy chili which neither of us can eat anymore.  Here is a picture of my better half that I took while there.
 
 
 
I'm liking up with Slow Sunday Stitching today.


23 comments:

  1. Lovely embroidery blocks!
    And your stocking is coming along so beautifully too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I think I might just get the stitching on the stocking done this week.

      Delete
  2. Your embroidery blocks are lovely. It's fun relaxing stitching for sure. Love the stitching on your stocking, that will be gorgeous when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Carla. I think I have about 24 or 25 more block to do. Some are small so will do many of those in a month.

      Delete
  3. The embroidery is lovely and the stocking is going to be fabulous when finished. I love the eagle,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Lindsey. I'm having a lot of fun doing the embroidery.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. The redwork will become a quilt that I'll hang up at Christmas time.

      Delete
  5. Your cross stitched stocking is coming along nicely. Fun to see your progress each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun working on it, but I'm looking forward to finishing the stitching on it this week as I accomplished a lot while on our short vacation.

      Delete
  6. Aaaaah, all your redwork stitcheries are darling! Very fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. I'm having a lot of fun doing them.

      Delete
  7. I'm always drawn by redwork, I just love it! Your stocking is growing beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Sarah. This is my very first redwork project and I'm loving it. Saw it done on Pinterest and ordered the pattern.

      Delete
  8. I love how the stocking is coming, you've made so much progress! I'm loving your redwork as well, too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I've had a lot of fun stitching this week while vacationing in AZ. Headed home today.

      Delete
  9. I can't decide on the Splendid Sampler myself, I am on the fence. I did try block 1 but didn't like the results, bad blanket stitching, sad corners, and not thrilled with the fabrics either. It does look like fun and a good learning experience, I am considering taking another try and joining in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, I hope that you do give The Splendid Sampler another try. I have gotten blocks 1 and 2 completed and will be doing 3 today. My blocks certainly aren't perfect, but I'm learning and will continue to learn and have lots of fun throughout the process. Join in. :)

      Delete
  10. The stockings are BEAUTIFUL, I used to cross stitch all the time, but I just can't seem to do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shauna, I used to cross-stitch many, many years ago and never planned to do it again, but then my daughter asked me to make two Christmas stockings, one for my granddaughter and my soon-to-be granddaughter-in-law. After they are done I probably won't do it again. I won't say never as we know how that goes.

      Delete
  11. Your redwork blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Vera. Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. Hope you'll stop by again soon.

      Delete
  12. Love your projects! I missed posting last week also, so my post actually showed two week's worth of sewing. I am participating in the Splendid Sampler also- I have been pulling my fabrics, but haven't started yet! Hoping to get to that this week.

    ReplyDelete